I’m teaching Blogging 101 and 201 at Storystudio Chicago again this fall. These are a couple of one-day classes that are an intro to blogging platforms and writing get newbies and for people who may have a great blogging idea that they’ve not been able to launch or maintain.
Thursday, September 24th, 6:30pm – 9:00pm
This single-session workshop will introduce participants to the “blogosphere” and explore different ways to create interesting, accessible, and fun content for blogs.
What we’ll cover:
- An overview of different systems, including Blogger, Tumblr, and WordPress.
- A discussion of software issues including hosting, selecting, and purchasing domain names.
- Personal vs. professional blogging and how to build a brand.
- Getting to work: brainstorming ideas for topics to write about. Identifying potential readers and reaching them effectively.
This hands-on class is ideal for students with limited experience with blogging, those who have never started a blog before, or professional writers with a limited background in digital communications, blogging, and social media.
Thursday, October 22nd, 6:30pm – 9:00pm
If you’re a writer, journalist, or communicator interested in “going pro” and stepping up what your blog can do for you, then don’t miss this single-session workshop. Dig deeper into your material and learn how to use content marketing strategies to expand your audience and track viewership.
What we’ll cover:
- Developing content calendars
- Images and licensing
- Legal issues for blog publishing
- Ad networks and sponsored content
- Analytics and SEO for blog growth
- Guest blogging and blogging job positions
This is a hands-on workshop for experienced bloggers (one year or more) who are interested in either turning their own blog into a professional endeavor, or blogging for other online publications.